#28. IGLESIA DEL SANTO CENACULO Corner of Simon Bolivar and Tarqui. Built 1894-1912.
The first stone of this church was laid on May 24, 1894. It was the last work of this type to be designed by the Redemptorist monk Brother Juan B. Stiehle.
The building was completed in an incredibly short space of time, given the conditions of the period, and on several occasions mingas, or work-in-kind by the community were used to speed up the process, which culminated in 1912.
The columns display the image of the Holy Sacrament, a recurrent symbol in this church devoted to Holy Communion.