The former School of Medicine of the University of Cuenca was built on this particular plot in 1916 because it was adjacent to the old St Vincent of Paul Hospital, therefore enabling students to obtain practice as well as theoretical training.
The main entrance has an exquisite wrought-iron semicircular gate. The whole building is slightly raised from the pavement, accessed via short flight of steps in the fashion of a podium.
The project was promoted by Honorato Vázquez, Rector of the University, who also had a distinguished career as a diplomat, being Ecuador’s representative at the court of Madrid during the border conflicts thatoccurred in the country at the beginning of the 20th century. It occupied a privileged location on the banks of the River Tomebamba,
The handsome façade is entirely in exposed brick, in keeping with the style popular at the time.
A large interior courtyard held the classrooms and other facilities.
This courtyard is distinguished by a central gallery with twelve columns possibly added around 1930. The gallery ceiling is of the polychrome brass variety.
A segmental arch displays a carved marble shield of the University of Cuenca at its centre. Still discernible above is a pinnacle inscribed with the date of construction, 1916.
An old Linotype Printing Press, and the letters used for the Printing Press.
The building was used as a site for the Cuenca International Bienal. Pictured here is an exhibit in the Bienal.
Situated on the west is a corridor leading to an empty space outside that once accommodated tennis courts. In 1968 the School of Medicine moved but The University of Cuenca continues to own the building, and it is now the Museum of the University of Cuenca.