Calle Larga y Martiano Cueva
The Oblatas Nuns of Iglesia Todos Santos have opened a Heritage Complex as an addition to the Church.
The nuns started by opening the church tower, then opened their museum and have now added gastronomy with a fine dining restaurant, CURU. And the well known Todos Santos wood burning oven is operating again, with fresh baked bread daily.
The beautiful setting of the restaurant is in a part of the Todos Santos Church Complex which used to be part of the Convent.
An additional part of the newly opened Todos Santos Complex is the old wood-fired oven, which was built in the 19th Century. The Todosantos bakery was famous in the city and the smell of fresh bread, characterized the neighborhood for decades until the mid-twentieth century when the old wood-burning oven stopped working due to the deterioration of the adobe and bahareque structure that housed it.
The wood oven baked bread is sold in the HANNAN Panaderia down the hall, starting at .25 cents.
CURU Restaurant is in a very handsome setting.
The tables look out over the Church Complex Gardens, along the Tomebamba River.
The wood oven was restored during a renovation of the church during 2007-2014.
He must be levitating from the smell of fresh baked bread.
This is the HANNAN Panaderia, where the fresh baked breads are sold. It is open Monday-Saturday from 10-8pm.
Chocolates from Paccha are also sold in HANNAN
An old photo of Iglesia Todos Santos, one of the oldest churches in Cuenca.
Photo of Puente de Todos Los Santos, before the flooding of the Tomebamba River in 1950, which destroyed most of the bridge. It is now known as El Puente Roto – Broken Bridge.
New nun novices took the names of flowers as their names.
You can read more about the Church on the blog post titled “Iglesia de Todos Santos”