#3 CAPILLA DEL CORAZON DE MARIA Y CONVENTO DEL BUEN PASTOR. Calles Mariano Cueva y Simon Bolivar. Built in 1892
The Good Shepherd Order of Nuns arrived in Cuenca in 1892. Although initially put in charge of the girls school in the St Blas district, the ultimate aim for the order was to run the city women’s prison, which opened in 1894. The first stone of the prison was laid in September 1892. The design and construction of the work is attributed to the Redemptorist monk Juan B. Stiehle.
This building now houses government offices for La Casa De La Provencia – Perfectura del Azuay.
The church is slightly set back from Tomas Ordonez Street. A small door leads from the church to the old prison grounds. — at Capilla Del Corazon De Maria Y Convento Del Buen Pastor.
The old womens prison grounds – now government offices for Perfectura del Azuay.
A very special hidden treasure is in the back of this building. EL JARDIN DE LAS MUJERES a life sized wall sculpture by artist Nicolas Herrera.It is free and open to the public. Here is a video of the artist describing the sculpture: It is a powerful sculpture of Andean forms and mythological beings: https://vimeo.com/189445142